The message to teens about prescription drugs must be utterly simple:
- When the doctor prescribes a medication for you, it’s fine to take it.
- But it’s never okay to take someone else’s prescription.
- It’s never okay to share your medication with someone else..
- It’s never okay to take more than the prescribed dose. Ever.
It’s also critical to follow good practice at home:
- There’s no sharing of prescriptions. No one takes anyone else’s medications.
- Prescription medications are always stored safely away, especially painkillers, depressants, and stimulants.
- After the surgery, after the dental work, after the broken leg heals, all unused prescription medications are disposed of safely. There are no old prescription medications lying around.